Sunday 11 March 2018

Saturday Skype with Jennifer and Lauren

Last Saturday I had a Skype with Jen and Lauren who are also undertaking Module Three.

We had a really honest, in-depth discussion about our findings so far and what stages we were at. 

We discussed literature that had really helped us look deeper into the analysis of our practice and seeing as we were all teaching in a creative field, it was useful for us to share our findings in a truly 'Special Interest Group.'

We also ended up discussing teaching the Creative Arts, as Lauren wanted to run a few questions past us about the importance of the arts, something that I had included within my own survey questions.

This led us to talk about performing and how the Creative Arts can be an escape for someone and an outlet for somebody to learn. We discussed a video that I had shared to the group before on the Facebook group, where Irish actor, John Connors, had been saved literally by acting and performing (below.) 



However, Jen also shared a story about a performer she knew of who became someone completely different when they appeared on stage, but who would rush to escape being greeted by people at the stage door, because in the real world they would shy away. It made us questions whether the Arts is always beneficial, or whether it sometimes helps people to not confront how they really feel.

This was a great chat encouraging us to look at both sides of the Arts, which is what we should be doing with our literature. Weighing up the pros and cons with each other enables us all to have a deeper understanding of what our practice entails. I think it was beneficial that we were considering both points of view, despite us all naturally being biased because we are all from a creative background. These are skills that I am developing throughout this process, seeing all different viewpoints and weighing up everything.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,
    Really interesting thought about the arts being an escape. I am quite reserved in real life but there have been times when I have danced on stage when I have got so involved with my roles that I found a confidence I have never felt in my normal life. This post really made me think.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,

      I'm glad this post made you think. The video with John Connors made me think too. Are we always confident performers or are we really good at simply acting confident?

      Thank you for your comment.

      Emma

      Delete
  2. Emma, you absolute SIG! Thank you for Sunday. Just wanted to say, I was one of those people that "rushed to escape being greeted at the stage door!". It's most probably why I've become a writer.

    That's a really interesting point!

    Best Wishes,
    Matty X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,

      It reminds me of all the comedians who have secretly been living with depression. They are too busy making people laugh and escaping their own problems.

      I always used to think 'if people laugh at me on stage it's fine because...it ISN'T me they're laughing at. It's just a character.'

      Emma X

      Delete