Wednesday 19 April 2017

Module 1: Task 3B - Theories Relating to Networking

Within Reader 3, I can see theories relating to Professional Networking and how we go about connecting with others in our Practice. Theories that relate to my Practice include:

Communities of Practice 

Affiliation 

Social Constructionism

Connectivism

Multiple Intelligences


Communities of Practice

Communities of practice’ is an idea represented by Lave and Wenger exploring the development of social circles created by mutual interests. “Such a view sees mind, culture, history, and the social interrelated processes that constitute each other.” (Lave, J., 1991, p. 63 -64).
Previously in my Acting practice, the term “mutual engagement,” described as “a shared reality in which to act and construct an identity” (Wenger, 1998, p.173) appeared accurate, because actors developed their very own language from belonging to networks like Spotlight and Equity. Due to all being part of the same network, possessing the same goals, the acting industry itself produced its own language. Actors would often discuss the online casting world and their links to opportunities. To be a Spotlight and Equity member meant you were part of a community. Director, Tony James, once told to me, “you aren’t an actor unless you’re on Spotlight.” (18th July, 2011) Before auditions were face to face, but now it’s also about your online profile as a 21st Century actor, just as much as your authentic one.  
Now I am in a school, a new community of Practice, I bond with teaching assistants over common challenges we experience.  It is stated that, “student teachers need to find learning environments that challenge them to contribute as whole persons, to imagine themselves as valued professionals whose work truly matters and to align their vocation with their values.” (Porter, 2003, p.51) We discuss our learning within school and how communities of practice may not always be respected by pupils because of their social values, helping us bond through our mutual understanding of teaching complexities. We educate pupils about respecting communities, but because they are still learning core values, including respect, certain children sometimes refuse to listen to the teacher community, not cooperating with their own school community.

Affiliation

Within school, teachers connect using email, as this is an efficient way to connect with each other when unable to privately discuss. Affiliation is said to “form close relationships”’ providing us “with a network of support that will help us when we are in need.” (Crisp and Turner, 2007, p.266). This means we can support each other when school challenges occur, whether personally or online. After participating in a Drama workshop, one girl told me she had learnt to interact more, enjoying affiliation with others through dramatic activities, which was my objective.

Social Constructionism

My learning often lies within Social Constructionism, a theory exploring how we construct ideas about the world through others. “If our knowledge of the world is not derived from the nature of the world as it really is, where does it come from? The social constructionist answer is that people construct it between them.” (Burr, 2015, 3rd ed. p4).
In an online article, I was interested in how Kolb’s Experimental Learning Theory was challenged, arguing that the “social” element should be considered when looking at learning processes. “social relationships of a person become prime importance.” (Holman, D., Pavlica, K. & Thorpe, R., 1997, p.141).In other words, there is a way to learn personally, but there is also another to learn socially. When studying Kolb’s four stages, I noticed there was no ‘social’ stage, only the personal journey. I have developed learning through Social Constructionism when undertaking rehearsals, but am also finding this now when teaching. Teaching Drama to thirty school children without a spacious setting was challenging, feeling like I went from knowing everything, to nothing in a matter of seconds. However, only by actively interacting in a socially active context was I able to assess my methods. I have since transferred drama school skills like ensemble work, using this to my advantage through my developed Drama teaching. For instance, when asked to encourage student ‘team spirit’, I focused on group interaction. 

 Connectivism

Previously in my Acting Practice, I was a Spotlight and Equity member, also linked to Facebook groups displaying Arts related information. By being a member, I accessed job, agent and casting information. Connectivity “occurs within nebulous environments” by “shifting core elements.” (G Seimens, 2004) Connectivity allows a ‘virtual door’ for professional opportunities, enabling chances to present my CV, making it the basis for opportunities within dramatic circles.
When publishing blogs, people in my ‘circle’ can instantly engage. By viewing their blogs, I learn what professionals think and discover. I encourage a drama school colleague undertaking the Route of Learning module, to read my blogs, discussing the Industry via Skype on what we think now, compared to what we thought before. 

Multiple Intelligences

When looking at the Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences (2008), I have realized that I have been an actress and teacher because I crave interpersonal intelligence with others, involving a common factor; people. I considered Honey and Mumford’s Learning Styles in the previous module, but Gardner made me question deeper the other ways people learn, i.e. linguistically, musically or visually. “The uniform school sounds fair- after all, everyone is treated the same way. But some years ago it occurred to me that this supposed rationale was completely unfair. The uniform school picks out and is addressed to a certain kind of mind.” (Gardner, H.E. 2008). This suggests that the Creative Arts itself requires an approach that recognises ‘intelligence’ is shown in differing ways. I’m often asking myself, “How do I reach this child?” meaning this is helpful for teachers and something I want to explore. 


Bibliography and References

Burr, V., 2015, Social Constructionism, 3rd edition, Routledge, pg. 4.


Crisp. J & Turner. R, (2007), Essential social psychology. London: Sage


Gardner, H.E., 2006 edition, Multiple Intelligences: New Horizons in Theory and Practice, Basic Books, New York, p.5.
Holman, D., Pavlica, K. & Thorpe, R. 1997, "Rethinking Kolb's Theory of Experiential Learning in Management Education: The Contribution of Social Constructionism and Activity Theory", Management Learning, vol. 28, no. 2, p. 141.


James. T, 18th July 2011, Rose Bruford Summer School.


Lave. J, 1991, Situating learning in communities of practice. Perspectives on socially shared cognition, 2nd edition, p.63-64.
Porter. M., Forging L.I.N.C.S. among Educators: The Role of International Service-Learning in Fostering a Community of Practice

http://www.academia.edu/5942884/Forging_L.I.N.C.S._among_Educators_The_Role_of_International_Service-Learning_in_Fostering_a_Community_of_Practice


Siemens, G, December 12, 2004, Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age,


Wenger, (1998,) Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning and Identity, Cambridge: University of Cambridge Press, p.173.



Relevant Blog Links


Theorists


http://emmalouisefitchett.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/i-now-see-true-relevance-between.html#comment-form


Audio-Visual Reflection

http://emmalouisefitchett.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/module-1-task-1c-audio-visual.html

No comments:

Post a Comment