Tuesday 4 October 2016

10am Skype 'Coffee Shop' chat with Adesola and Megan

This Skype chat with Megan and Adesola was so useful and talking to Megan and listening to her discuss the stage of Module Two she was at after completing Module One already was incredibly insightful. Just hearing Megan talk about what she had found was really interesting and got me thinking about learning and transitioning.
 

Transitioning

 
How? What? Where? When? Why?
 
"What would I have liked to know, now that I know about it?"
 
From Acting to Teaching
 
I wasn't concious of this transitioning, but I soon realised it was about what made me happy. Transitions might be forced and others might not be but it's about that transition and development of knowledge.


A great example of me using my skills as an actor to enhance my teaching is my knowledge of the benefits of an ensemble and how my teaching approach is different from that of other teachers. I like to view my group of students as 'an ensemble' which benefits the whole group. This enables everyone to be equal, however I've noticed that when I have to discipline the children, I switch back into more of an authority figure. This I've found makes the children behave much more, because they love the fun of the ensemble and therefore try and behave to get the ensemble back!
 
Adesola's Points
 
What is the 'best?'
 
There's more than one definition of 'best.' People in school view the best as being able to correlate what the teacher has taught them and get good scores, but it can also be about being happy. It's about knowing yourself. Knowing your capabilities and strengths and weaknesses.
 
Which begs the question, "what is success?"
 
I've had this discussion with my friend Zara, who I went to drama school with said to me shortly after drama school, "it's being happy."
 
She was the person who introduced me to Explore Learning and the love of teaching children and has realised the importance of 'knowing yourself' and following your passions. She had soon realised that being successful isn't always materialistic.
 
So many actors and audiences view an actor's success by Oscars and awards and being in massive feature films, but just because you haven't appeared in Star Wars, does that make you any less of a successful and good actor? Really, that is no reflection on your acting ability, because you may not have been in the right place and the right time and had the same experiences and opportunities that those actors have had. You don't have that actor's nose, eyes, colour hair etc etc. As the saying goes, "if your face fits..."

Changes
 
Adesola pointed out that when reflecting on my new found love of teaching, that even though this is poignant, things STILL might change. For now teaching makes me happy, but who is to say that it will be my set career? Adesola said that it might go from teaching to then realise 'no...performing is what I should be doing!'
 
Discussion of Modules
 
Module one is reflecting on how your own experience have informed your own learning but Megan was at module two it's about reading into literature and other people and their views on how they've learned.
 
Summed up in one word the modules are:
 
Module 1 - Analysing
Module 2 - Forwarding
Module 3 - Developing
 
This whole course is about making an enquiry.
 
Actor Ralph Fiennes said in The Actor's Studio:
 
"It's about the journey, not the destination."
 
This phrase has rung so true to me.
 
A great way of summing up 'the journey' is shown in this video of 'The Mirror.'
 



 
 
I saw this video on Facebook the other day and it's been running through my head ever since. How we can see that glimpse of ourselves and what we used to be, but how we have changed so much that there is no going back. As Adesola said, "what would I have liked to know about this, now that I know?"
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emma, really great chatting to you the other day! I like your ideas of 'transition' and 'change' within your practice and how it seemed to happen so naturally. I'm hoping the same thing will happen within my inquiry in that questions and more specific ideas will emerge from initial research into general ideas. I really like your question 'what is success?' and the discussion about people's individual achievements. It made me wonder if it is the most talented people that are successful? But then how do we measure talent and success? I feel individual perception and opinion is key here. Is success being happy? Because I would consider a lot of successful people to be unhappy. Would love to hear any further thoughts on to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, I really enjoyed chatting with you the other day too! I think our chat was very insightful and that's such an interesting point you make about 'successful' people being unhappy! If we are talking about 'material' success, then perhaps it can make people unhappy? I have certainly found that my happiness appears to be as a result of making a difference to others and making them happy! I've also found that people from drama school who are SO incredibly talented are still doing unpaid fringe theatre! And sometimes I think, where is the justice? They're amazing!! Why has nobody snapped them up? I'm starting to believe it's more to do with luck? The right place at that right time maybe? I'd be interested to hear what you think too!

      Delete
  2. Hey Emma! You've helped inspire an inquiry topic so I thank you for that! Check out my most recent blog post here: http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/inquiry-topic-what-makes-dancer.html

    You mention things like happiness, talent, luck. People from your drama school who are incredibly talented but are working in fringe for free - do you still perceive them to be successful because of their talent or not? And would you consider a paid job on a bigger scale 'material' success? I like your idea of 'material' success as a form of measurement or scale of you like - just contemplating what the opposing would be - 'internal' perhaps? 'Emotional'?

    Thanks again, really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete