Tuesday 4 October 2016

The Recognition of Learning Module: Activity Number Four

Writing my

Professional Actor CV

 
I spent some time today annotating my personal Actor CV and my findings were really interesting. The main finding I had was that the skills I had acquired as a result of undertaking the particular activity all appeared to form into one. I didn't just use Text skills to undertake a role in Restoration Comedy or TV skills to help me with my Disney Commericals. I used mask, comedy, physcial comedy, Commedia and Clowning.


My Actor CV Reflection


Any actor will have a particular set of unique skills in their professional toolkit and one element in this mix which was incredibly important to me when acting as a professional was my CV. The CV highlights every skill you own and therefore is unique. Nobody has done the all the same things that you have done, no one has experienced everything that you have done and therefore, nobody is YOU. Only YOU can be YOU. We had a CV lesson during work week at Drama Studio, a week that was incredibly useful, because we could get a real taste of what the industry would entail and we could really focus on selling what was unique about us.

 

Structure of the CV

Header


The header is without a doubt the first thing you will see when you look at the CV. It has your name, your photo with specific appearance details, details of your agent, your contact details and your other professional contact networks. It is the first thing that an employer will see so it's important to have an outstanding and engaging headshot, a nice bold font and colour for your name so that it is remembered and is vital that every bit of contact information is clear and correct.

Mid-Section


The middle section includes all the roles and jobs that you have undertaken both professionally and whilst training. This is a great way to show off your skill set and the type of roles you have explored which all relates to an actor's versatility. It also gives an insight into all of the workshops undertaken which can be incredibly useful in reflecting and showing an actor's professional development and wish to enhance and build on their existing skills. The workshops element has been extensively helpful as much of what I have done with the children has been as a result of the workshops I have done when in training and after training as well. Workshops are great ways of seeing how ensemble work and group games can bond a group and break barriers between people.

Footer


 
The footer is the lasting impression, so it's important to list anything you want to leave a director or potential employer with. These can include other skills including combat knowledge, movement abilities and accents. I also decided to add that I was a National Youth Theatre member which meant that not only did I have experience working as an ensemble but I also worked on stadium arts and continued to remain a member to show that I was remaining active in the profession and would hopefully continue more experiences with such a well-known organisation. Points such as the National Youth Theatre present something that shows a particular ensemble work ethic and shows that I would have had to work with a various people at different points.

 

Teacher CV

 

How have I used my Professional CV and it's positive aspects to enhance my Teaching CV?

 

Training and Professional Experience

 
 The great experiences I had working professionally and the benefits of training professionally meant that I could show potential employers and teaching recruitment companies how much knowledge I had both in the acting field and working with children. I spoke to recruitment companies and asked them what I could achieve next in order to fulfill my teacher training. Of course, they told me that teaching was a degree profession, but due to my experience and training as a professional actress, I was told that I would have no problem in getting a job as a teacher once I had gained the qualification due to my skill set and good amount of work that I had undertaken with children.
 

Work Experience

 
I think it's been incredibly important to remain in some form of work since graduating and when reflecting on my work and career journey up until now, my work with children had enabled me to really expand my knowledge of working with young people. When not undertaking acting jobs, I've used my acting skills to partake in Media Sales and speak to people confidently on the phone as well as support children in the classroom. All jobs have meant that I've had to deal people of various ages and has therefore broadened my knowledge of people's strengths, weaknesses, fears, doubts, hopes and dreams. It has also meant that I have been able to help them achieve and overcome their troubles, whatever that may be.
 

Now I have been able to add another job position to my CV and show that I have aquired skills in teaching both lesiure activities, such as the Performing Arts, as well as teaching the National Curriculum. Having these two jobs have enabled me to develop children through the medium of drama and as a result enhances my lessons and makes them incredibly fun and engaging. I undertake dramatic and storytelling games within my Creative Writing classes so that the children are constantly engaged within the group and this has done absolute wonders for the entire groups creativity.
 
 
Main Positive Points of my Professional Acting and Teaching CVs
 
  • A variety of different job roles
  • An involvement with workshops to improve skills
  • Interests that enhance knowledge of my profession
  • A consistent involvement of different jobs
  • A constant development of skills with children
  • A clear list of strengths



No comments:

Post a Comment