Thursday 26 October 2017

The Real Truth - Why did I Crumble at the Wednesday Workshop?

Yesterday was so strange. I met Arthur at Liverpool Street Station at 12pm and when I met him, I couldn't believe how different he looked. It's been 3 years since Drama School and this guy walking towards me had long hair in a bun, which he told me he didn't wash the usual way anymore, holes in his jacket, was thinner than I remember and told me that he was now Vegan. This wasn't the Arthur I remembered. The Arthur I remembered used to have tamed hair and absolutely loved to feast on meat. He even told me yesterday that he missed sausages...

We talked about our current lives as we bought a vegan lunch, but we didn't have time to eat it as Arthur was already late for for the start of his workshop. 
I went in and met the course leader, Faith, as well as the others and was instantly thrown into watching the 'Repetition' exercise, where the other actors repeat what the other has just said, based on what they observe about the other person. 

I had finally seen the truth in Arthur as I watched, remembering that at Drama School he had struggled with this at times. There were moments he was so real at this workshop and of course there were also times when he was bullshitting...

I watched for those few hours people crying and becoming so emotional on particular repeated lines.
Finally it was my turn to stand a face another new person to the workshop and had to describe what I could see. 

I could do this looking at him, but when I was asked to close my eyes and say the first thing I saw it became harder instantly and I wasn't sure why.
I kept saying things that had an opinion, like 'Granddad' and 'Monster.' All I had to do was say things like, eyes, hair, teeth, lips etc. Just simply state the physical.

Faith told me, 'You look defeated. You look defeated before you have already begun.'

And I cried.

I cried, I think, for a mixture of reasons. I cried, because I had been feeling defeated for so long. That I had dealt with these feelings in my own way, but now I was exposed again. And I think I'm starting to realise that I don't want to be vulnerable again. People watching me and being told to state the physical in someone else was suddenly just not easy anymore. All I wanted to do was to be left alone. For once in my life, I didn't like that feeling of being on stage, with people watching and looking right into me. I've had emotional baggage recently that's hard to handle. I find out today whether or not my mum has cancer and was told recently by my dad that I should start 'taking responsibility,' despite the fact I have many responsibilities already. 

I wanted to hide away from the world yesterday, because I wasn't ready to unleash what I'd been feeling. Low and scared. I didn't want people to see that. 

I left the workshop because I had to see my friend, another Drama School colleague, Chloe. I decoded with her what had happened. I feel now as if I'm over Acting. And I think Drama School did me damage. It's made me realise that I didn't want to keep living in the dramatic world. Instead, I want to do my job and be a teacher, who makes classes fun and is a role model to children who have nobody. Not to stand up and crumble in front of strangers because I'm 'holding back.' I want to cry in front of people who love me and have been on that journey with me. Not to indulge in any 'techniques' or 'strategies.' I feel like I'm passed that and this may be why I couldn't connect with the exercise. I wasn't being there for me, I was actually being there for someone else. 

At this moment in time, I want to do what makes me happy, and when I teach, I forget my worries and my fears and help others with their own issues because the people who are meant to listen to them simply can't or won't. I want to use Drama as a way of building people up and focusing on their positives, not going deep inside them and trying to pull out their fears or worries, because I see it in their eyes every day. If they want to talk, I am here. 

But I think sometimes, it's better to let people deal with things in their own way. I have dealt with it in my own way and it is not in front of people on a stage under beaming lights. It's with people who care. I do not want to be feel like a spectacle. I am a human being. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Emma - it has some super insightful moments. The minute you are doing something for someone else rather than yourself, and your own personal progression, is when you need to question it. It is a lot braver to question something you have been used to doing - and realising why you are feeling that way - than to bury things away and strive for a false sense of self.
    I will agree with you that Drama school left me with relative low confidence. Something I have realised since graduating is that confidence is key when it comes to the acting industry. When I go into an audition room with a lack of confidence - it serves me nothing.
    Drama school made me question every inch I moved. Some people can take that - but for more emotionally inclined people like me - it made me really self-critical, and not in a productive way.
    In fact I will say during my graduate life and working for myself and with my agents has made me a lot more confident in my ability and how I conduct myself. I make decisions for myself. And I always remember to carry a sense of self when approaching a job or audition - not arrogance - just the knowledge that I am capable of whatever is the job entails.
    As you said - we are all human beings. We deserve to do in life what brings us joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eleanor,

      I completely agree with what you say. The 'doing it for someone else' comment you made is so, so true. Maybe if I had wanted to be there truly, things would probably have been a lot different. I also think you're right in saying that Drama School makes you question everything and this can have its positives and its negatives.

      After speaking to my ex-colleague, Chloe, she herself had mentioned that she feels down a lot, but always gets just one thing to pick her back up again. Which is why she continues. She said to me there have been many times when she feels 'done' with it all, but there's always something that boosts her up and so the cycle continues!

      I guess you really do have to ask yourself, 'what do I want?'

      Delete