Sunday 12 November 2017

Module 2 - Task 5D - Discussing Ethical Dimensions of my Inquiry

Special Interest Group Discussions on Safeguarding

From the Skype discussion I discovered a great deal about what I was thinking in terms of Ethics. I realised that in order to present my research, I wouldn't always look to the children to give their feedback, but instead ask around the 'subjects' of your inquiry. I remember discussing with some people the safeguarding issue within school and that the Ethical implications should be fairly addressed if the children have their identities hidden through facial blurring. I then wondered whether or not it was still needed to ask permission from parents and as a result, have decided to distribute an ethics release form to parents of the children in question as to whether or not I am allowed to take pictures of them rehearsing and use this as a form of ethical consideration in my evidence. 

It is an incredibly fragile topic when it comes to involving children and I have been very wary to ask permission from the Headteacher already. She too has advised me that blurring faces is perfectly acceptable to do and keeping the children's names anonymous is also something to remember too. 

Vulnerability

After undertaking the workshop in London with my friend Arthur, I have also been forced to think about what is 'intrusive.' When developing a child's acting skills or aiding them with creating music, I am now aware of how the children may feel when they are told to complete tasks, like simply standing on stage. This is because they are instantly being made to feel vulnerable and by taking part in any Art form, it can open up the soul of a human being. This is what I became aware of when I broke down at the Wednesday workshop. I wasn't necessarily in the right frame of mind and sometimes, these children aren't either, so I have to remember that. Some youngsters find it much harder than others, particularly if they have difficult backgrounds. Really, it is not my job to impose, but my job to encourage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment