Saturday 11 November 2017

Module Two - Task 5C - Reviewing Professional Ethics

One of the biggest ethical issues I have had the entire time throughout my Professional Practitioner study is the photographing of young children and presenting evidence of my work with them. It is an incredibly delicate subject due to their vulnerability and recently I have been trying to weigh up in my mind whether to blur their faces from pictures when presenting evidence of a study. I recently discussed this with the Skype group and from the discussion, most people appeared to believe that as long as the Headteacher authorised permission to take pictures on the basis that their faces were blurred and that their identities were hidden, I would be allowed to pursue this evidence. 

When looking at the theoretical ethical framework for this issue, I have considered the three strands of Ethics. 

Consequentialism - Morally right if it maximises the good 
Deonotology - The only good thing is a good will and benefits everyone involved
Virtue Ethicist - Emphasises the overall character of the moral agent

Taking Pictures of Children for Evidence

Consequentialist
It can be used in order to present evidence of children thriving through the Arts and supports their progress within the Arts.

Deontologist
The child is a vulnerable and innocent human being, who has the right to privacy and may not wish to appear in a picture.

Virtue Ethicist
I am a trusted member of staff who has had a Disclosure Barring Service check obtained and will not use the photographs in a neglectful way, respecting the younger person's wishes.

These are all things I have had to consider when looking into my Inquiry and it has made me realised that nothing should be taken lightly or simply just, 'assumed.' Every party within an inquiry is entitled to a voice and it is up to me to make sure that every person with the inquiry is valued and respected.Written consent in the eyes of the law is the most positive and permanent way to ensure that permission is fully granted and as a result, I will be undertaking both an Ethics Release Form to be signed by the parents and a Professional Support From, to be signed by either the school Headteacher, or a higher member within the School Leadership Team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment