Monday 6 November 2017

The Art is in your Planning - Skype session, 31st October with Adesola and Students

At first the Skype was all about us discussing what we would like to comment on during the evening conversation and what struck me the most was how everything that was mentioned seemed to interlink. I found it interesting that one person in particular, Lauren, was doing exactly the same thing as me and was currently teaching herself which made discussing my topic of Ethics with her incredibly useful. 

Many queries were brought up, including referencing to people's ideas within their work and blogs, which consequently enabled me to lead on with my questions about ethics and how I go about dealing with and showing evidence of my work with children without disrupting the safeguarding of the youngsters. 

As I talked about these things, Lauren and others were able to guide me and to tell me that it was also important to consider other ways of evidencing things, rather than just taking pictures. When I talked about gathering my data, I asked whether or not it was a good idea to give parents a questionnaire on their child's confidence as a result of taking part in subjects in the Arts. Adesola mentioned that it was difficult to decide because as soon as you tell someone the situation of it being a study, results and data could be misinformed and potentially biased. 

Adesola also mentioned a good point about asking the children how they felt about their Arts tuition, pointing out that in order to work out whether cows would need current grass or new grass, you wouldn't necessarily ask them because you simply can't. You therefore have to find other ways of establishing which is better for them that doesn't always have their input. This really got me thinking about the other ways I could consequently collect data.

I then helped answer the questions of other pupils who were talking about how they go about their work and I shared my story of a recent science experiment I undertook. I explained that all of the things that I thought would make my lesson hard, such a sourcing all of the equipment and making sure no child hurts themselves, actually went to the back of my mind when combining the theory and the practical of the experiment together. I explained how one student, who often refuses to write, ended up writing just in order to see the experiment. I told him that everyone would have to wait for him to complete his work and that the experiment in itself was a piece of theatre. 

Adesola then picked me up on a line that I said which was, 'the Art is in your planning.' I soon realised that this was a 'golden nugget' of wisdom, as once you have planned to intertwine the theoretical and practical together and set up your 'theatre' then you don't have to do the extra 'work.' It is simply already there for you to experiment with yourself. 

As a result of this Skype, I want to think about how I am going to present my data and have some ideas in which I can gain the evidence. I need to start looking at observations, maybe from students and the Teaching Assistants, as well as other teachers. In the words of Adesola, 'when you think you have a block, be creative.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment